MY VISION FOR BANNING HIGH SCHOOL – “HOME OF THE PILOTS”
Since returning to Banning High School, my welcome from everyone has been friendly and warm. I am pleased to have this opportunity to serve as principal and work collaboratively with students, parents, teachers, and staff to meet the challenges ahead.
Banning High is a school filled with history and great pride as reflected by the beautiful and spirited murals, commitment to having a clean, safe, and civil campus, and the desire to produce outstanding graduates. The foundation for our success is collaboration - working together for common goals, partnerships, shared leadership, co-evolving and co-learning. Together, as teachers, classified staff, administrators, students, and parents we can achieve more. We have the capacity to collectively transform the “Home of the Pilots.”
My vision is to support the transformation of BHS into the best high school in the nation by decreasing the drop-out rate, increasing the graduation rate, and steadily moving towards an 800 Academic Performance Index while addressing the needs of English Language and Standard English Language Learners.
Issues I will address personally and immediately include the following:
- Focusing on the Public School Choice Process so that we develop and implement a plan that meets the needs of our students. We will work with the entire school community to identify strategies that can help Banning High overcome the challenges that it is facing. It will take all of us working together to help students reach their potential. Parents and families must be at the center of all conversations regarding our schools. Parents and guardians are critical partners in the Public School Choice Process. We value parent feedback, and we will provide answers to questions regarding the Banning High School plans. Please visit the Public School Choice web site
- Ensuring all students are college-prepared and career-ready, and ensuring that standards-based instruction is implemented in all classes;
- Preparing for the WASC (Western Association of Schools and Colleges) Accrediting Commission visit schedule for the spring 2014. During that visit, Banning High will be required to demonstrate progress toward meeting identified growth targets and areas that will strengthen student achievement and the overall school program.
- Building the capacity of our school to train, educate, and support parents as partners in their children’s education; every last Tuesday of the month at 8:15 am, you are invited to Coffee with the Principal. Come and enjoy light refreshments, great conversation, and Pilot spirit. Please telephone (310) 847-3700 to check on the upcoming dates for “Coffee with Mr. Mendoza.”
- Implementing the progressive school wide discipline plan as established and monitored by the Discipline Committee made up of all stakeholders.
- Working collaboratively with all stakeholder groups to build morale and collegiality.
- Engaging in positive and meaningful dialogues to establish shared goals and benchmarks.
Please join me in making Banning High School a model of success by instilling high expectations in our Pilots, implementing proven reforms related to teaching and learning, and supporting our vision of what all students should know and be able to do as future graduates of Banning High School.
I look forward to a wonderful year. Go Pilots!