Banning High School is located in Wilmington, California and is part of the Los Angeles Unified School District. The school was named in honor of General Phineas Banning who was one of the founders of Wilmington in the late 1800's. Originally known as Wilmington High School and located at the corner of Anaheim and Avalon boulevards.
Banning High School was renamed in honor of General Banning when a newer facility at Avalon and Pacific Coast Highway was opened in 1926. The 'old' red brick building was a landmark in the Wilmington town for many years. The ivy covered brick building suffered damage in the 1971 Sylmar earthquake and was torn down in 1973. Anyone who remembers the old brick building knows it didn't go down easy. It was a sad time for Wilmington to see the building that came to represent so much in the community to be demolished.
"For three years, classes were held in bungalows while the new building was being constructed. In fall 1975, the new building was opened on the grounds with a Lakme Avenue address. Along with the new building, a new gym and swimming pool were added to the campus -- the home of the Banning Pilots.
"Banning High School has long, proud history. It is a school rich in tradition and has seen many of its graduates go on to great things. Banning alumni have succeeded in medicine, law, education, professional athletics, and many more respected fields. Many dedicated teachers and administrators have contributed to the lives of the students who have received their educations at Banning High School."